Caramelized Sweet Potato On A Stick
Kamote cue is sweet potato covered in sugar that is then deep-fried on a skewer. This recipe requires a lot less oil since it uses an air fryer (If you want to get an air fryer yourself, check out the Amazon link in my YouTube video to the air fryer I use!). To present the kamote cue Filipino-street-style way, make sure you have skewers for this recipe!
- Sweet potatoes (any kind is fine; the one I use is my favorite, the murasaki sweet potato, because it’s so sweet!)
- Oil spray
- ½ cup sugar (any kind, of your choice; I use coconut sugar)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 ºF for 3 minutes before we start putting anything inside.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into even thickness, with the skin on. I cut mine into ½ inch-thick slabs, which takes about 8 minutes total to cook. You can adjust your cooking time accordingly: less time with thinner pieces, and more time with thicker pieces.
- Lay out one layer of sweet potato pieces in the air fryer, keeping space between them. Spritz the tops of the sweet potatoes with a little bit of oil (not exactly necessary, but it helps retain the texture).
- Take your sugar and sprinkle a flat layer of sugar across all the sweet potato slices.
- Then, stick these into the air fryer cooker, which should be preheated at 400 ºC. Flip the sweet potato slices halfway through the cooking time — which in this case, would be half of 8 minutes. After you flip the sweet potato slices halfway through cooking, spritz them once again with a little bit of oil and lay out a thin layer of sugar on the newly-flipped sides. Cook the other side for the rest of the cooking time.
- Put the resulting sweet potato slices on skewers. If you want them crispier than they turned out, give them a couple of extra minutes more in the air fryer, on each side.
Great job! Wasn’t that so simple? These kamote cue skewers are so portable, and they make a great grab-n-go snack. Of course, if you prefer otherwise, just serve them on a plate. This is a great, healthy recipe that helps curb your cravings!