This Sicilian Pistachio cookie recipe is simple, straightforward and results in a cookie that’s flavorful and satisfyingly crunchy.
I found a recipe on Pasta Grammar that uses pistachio flour in the ingredients list. It does mention its possible to make your own but I’ve included instructions on how exactly to do so. Just make sure to not make pistachio butter!
This recipe is very simple with a small list of ingredients. The most complicated part would be to make your own pistachio flour. Be sure to take a look at the photos to compare your progress!
First, you’ll want to make your pistachio flour. Blitz down to small pieces first.
Then add the other dry ingredients and blitz more. This will ensure you make a pistachio flour and not pistachio butter
Add the egg white and blitz until you can make a ball in your hand
Then roll into a log and put in the fridge for an hour
Take out the log and slice in 1/4 inch discs. Roll these into balls and roll into a bowl of powdered sugar to coat well
Don’t forget to add a little depression in the middle for a single pistachio
Sicilian Pistachio Cookies
- 1 egg white
- ⅓ cup (70g) almond flour
- 4/5 cup (95g) whole pistachio
- ¾ cup (90g) powdered sugar more for dusting
- In a food processor, pulse pistachios into small pieces (see photos). Do not process too much and end up with pistachio butter. Make sure to stop when the nuts end up in small pieces.
- Then add the almond flour and powdered sugar to the food processor. This will help prevent the pistachios turn into butter. Continue pulsing until the whole mixture turns finer almost like coarse coffee grounds
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg white until a little foamy. Add these into the processor and blitz until you can press the mixture together in your hands
- Shape the mixture into a log and wrap in plastic. Chill for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 340℉
- Remove the mixture from the fridge and shape into ¼ inch thick discs. Roll these into balls
- Fill a bowl with some powdered sugar and coat each ball in the bowl. After each coating, place the cookie on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Once all cookies have been coated and placed, use your finger to press a shallow pit in each cookie and place a single, whole pistachio
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes until the outside dries but the inside remains soft
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving