Filipino Beefsteak With Onions
Watch How To Make It:
Bistek is such an easy recipe to make, and it’s high in protein! If you LOVE onions, this is definitely a recipe you gotta try out.
My sister, Claudine Castro, is a fitness trainer and she constantly makes bistek as part of her high-protein diet. If I had beef ready to cook every week, I’d be making TONS of bistek!
If you don’t have calamansi juice, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar make a great substitute. You can also use bottled calamansi if you absolutely want to try bistek with calamansi. Here’s a link: https://amzn.to/2SWnXdY
You can make this recipe in a normal pot instead of an Instant Pot, but just make sure to simmer on low heat for about 40 minutes or until the beef is tender.
• 1 lb boneless ribeye steak, sliced thinly
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 3 tbsp calamansi juice (or lemon juice OR vinegar)
• 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
• 2 large onions
• 2 tbsp oil
• 2 tsp sugar
• pinch of salt to taste
1. In a large bowl, throw in the steak, soy sauce, calamansi juice, and black pepper. Mix all the ingredients together, then let it sit for at least 30 minutes to marinade (or overnight).
2. Take two large onions, peel the skin off, and slice them into thick rings.
3. Plug in your instant pot, and press Saute and keep it on Normal mode. Allow it to heat up for a few minutes, then pour in oil and sautee the onion rings until translucent. Take half of the onion rings and set it aside in a separate bowl.
4. After the meat has marinated, dump in the meat and the marinade inside the instant pot. Add a pinch of salt to taste, stir it up, and put the Instant Pot lid on. Make sure that the vent is pointed towards “Sealing”.
5. Press “cancel” to turn off the Saute mode, and press “Pressure Cook”, keeping it on Normal. Make sure your pressure level is on High Pressure, and then set the time for 7 minutes.
6. After the 7 minutes, use oven mitts or a long spatula to release the pressure from the vent. Keep your body parts away from the high-pressure steam, it will badly burn you. After all the pressure has been released, you can open the lid safely.
7. Press “Cancel” and “Saute” mode to let it simmer while you taste the sauce. Add the sugar and more salt if needed to taste.
8. Take the reserved onions and mix into the Instant Pot for only a minute to reheat.
9. Turn off the Instant Pot, and serve your bistek with a side of white rice!
You can choose to brown the beef first to get more flavor out of it, but if you’re lazy like me, it’s ok to dump everything in at once!
DID YOU MAKE THIS?!
Post on social media and tag @jeanelleats! I get so happy when I see people making these recipes at home!