Filipino Citrus-Flavored Sweet Poppyseed Bread
Watch How To Make It:
You’ve heard of lemon poppyseed loaves, but have you ever had it CALAMANSI-flavored?!
My mom gave me a huuuge ziploc bag filled with calamansi, which is a small citrus native to the Philippines.
They’re like a mix of lemon and orange, with a very floral scent. It’s an absolutely incredible flavor that can’t quite compare to just plain ol’ lemon.
We use calamansi as a dip with soy sauce, or enjoy it as a sweet drink, similar to a tall glass of lemonade.
I LOVE anything lemon-flavored when I buy sweets because I love the tartness I get from the lemon! Sometimes though, I feel like some treats I get aren’t tart enough, so I decided to take matters in my own hands with this calamansi poppyseed loaf.
If you have a ton of calamansi available, this is a delectable treat to whip up for your friends and family to enjoy!
• 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 3/4 tsp salt
• 3/4 tsp baking powder
• 1 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
• 1 tbsp calamansi juice
• 1 1/2 tsp calamansi rind, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
• 1 egg
• 3/4 cup milk
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla
• oil, for greasing your loaf pan
• 3 tbsp calamansi juice
• 1/2 tsp calamansi zest
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 cup powdered sugar
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350ºF, and grease a 9-inch loaf pan liberally with oil.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and poppy seeds.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Then add the calamansi juice, calamansi rind, egg, milk, and vanilla extract and mix well.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix just until the ingredients are combined. Do not overmix!
5. Pour the batter into your loaf pan, and place in the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, or until the center poked with a toothpick (or chopstick!) comes out clean.
1. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients until there are no more lumps.
2. Once your loaf has cooled for 10 minutes, poke a bunch of holes across the top of the loaves, then drizzle the glaze throughout the loaves. Enjoy with a cup of hot tea!
Pour just enough glaze that you desire on the loaves. If you want it less sweet, use only part of the glaze!
DID YOU MAKE THIS?!
Post on social media and tag @jeanelleats! I get so happy when I see people making these recipes at home!