Bicol express is usually made with pork, and it is known to be so spicy, your mouth goes numb with every bite. However, this recipe is made with chicken and not that many chilis, because I wanna have a good time with eating bicol express!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- ½ chopped onion
- 1 lb chopped chicken thigh meat
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste (don’t skip this ingredient!)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 skinny Thai chili peppers, chopped
- 1 fat Thai chili pepper, chopped
- Grab a medium-sized pan and heat up a tablespoon of oil. Once heated, sauté the garlic and onions until the onions look sweaty.
- Add in the chicken thigh meat and brown on all sides. Then, throw in the shrimp paste and thoroughly mix it in the chicken. Follow this up with 1 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper.
- Dump in the can of full-fat coconut milk, and add in all of the chopped Thai peppers. Mix it all up, and keep it simmering for another 10-15 minutes on low heat until all the coconut milk thickens up.
- Now it’s ready to serve! Bicol express is surprisingly simple, and still so delicious. I really recommend having it with rice because it tastes so good with rice, and you might need it especially if your bicol express is spicy. :