Arroz Caldo is a Filipino chicken & rice porridge perfect for sick days or chilly weather! This recipe uses an instant pot, and it requires minimal ingredients.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 2 inches of ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Ground pepper
- 1 cup rice(any type is fine), uncooked
- 5 cups chicken broth (can be adjusted)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- Optional: green onions(chopped), fried onions, sliced boiled egg, lemon.
- Grab your instant pot, select the “Sauté” function, and keep it on “Normal” mode.
- After the pot heats up, add oil and crushed garlic. Then, add the chopped onions and ginger. Sauté everything for a few minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Next, add the chicken thighs and sauté until they have browned on all sides. Add ground pepper and salt, to your preference.
- Throw in the cup of rice, and follow it up with 5 cups of chicken broth. Adjust the amount of chicken broth accordingly. For a thinner, soupier arroz caldo, add one more cup of chicken stock at a time.
- Add the fish sauce and stir everything well.
- Secure the lid of the instant pot, and turn the vent to “Venting”. Cook for about 15 minutes (adjust the time on the Instant Pot if you need to), and then click the “Cancel” button to stop the cooking. You can do either a quick release or natural release to allow the steam to fully escape before opening the lid.
- Click the “Sauté” button again, and allow it to cook for another 5-7 minutes to allow the soup to thicken, stirring occasionally.
That’s it! If you want to get fancy with your arroz caldo, garnish it with green onions, fried onions, and a freshly sliced boiled egg. You can also spritz some lemon to brighten up the flavor!